Code Of Practice – River Ayr
- Salmon season runs from11th Feb until 31st Oct.
- All kelts must be returned (legal requirement).
- All gravid fish must be returned (legal requirement).
- The board requests that ALL coloured fish are returned.
- The board proposes that spring fish caught before end of May are to be returned.
- The board proposes that all hen fish caught in October are to be returned.
- A bag limit of one salmon per angler per day is proposed.
- All sea trout and whitling are to be returned (but must be included in catch returns).
- If escapee farmed salmon are caught they should be killed.
- Anglers are reminded the sale of rod caught salmon is illegal.
- Catch returns must be completed as per beat rules.
Please remember that returned fish should still be recorded in the catch returns.
The National Guidelines set by the Association of Salmon Fishery Boards state that at least 50% of salmon and grilse and all sea trout should be returned to rivers. Taking all of the above into consideration the Board fully supports this view.
The board continues to pursue a voluntary agreement with anglers to delay the start of the fishing season until 15th March each year.